Preschool Overview and Application
St. John’s Episcopal Preschool is a theme based academic program nurturing character and faith for children ages 3 – 5. Our primary mission is to provide a safe, caring, and positive environment that fosters a lifetime love of learning. Our engaging program encourages the social, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual development of the whole child. We proudly focus on teaching our students our core values of kindness, honesty, respect, and compassion – values that are integrated into the daily routines and that form a strong basis for all of our academic and social lessons throughout the year. Click this link to read more about our Preschool Program.
1. Schedule a tour of the campus
Contact the Admissions Office to arrange an initial visit to the School. During your visit, you will have the opportunity to meet the Head of School, Tom Stevens, and the Director of Admissions, Doug Perkins. You will receive a tour of the campus and facilities, as well as observe classes in session.
2. Complete the Application and Parent Questionnaire
There are several ways to obtain our Application materials:
- We are happy to mail an Admission packet to you; please call the Admissions Office at 301-774-6804 or Request Information.
- You may apply online by completing the Online Application
- If you prefer to complete a hard copy, you may download our Application for Preschool and STJES Preschool Parent Questionnaire, and forward it to the Admissions Office.
There is a non-refundable $75 application fee for each student. St. John’s accepts checks or credit card.
3. Playdate and Assessment
Preschool/3 applicants are required to spend a 45-60 minutes in the Preschool/3 classroom during the school day on a mutually agreed upon date prior to the last day of school. Teachers will observe and assess your child. Parents or guardians are required to stay for this visit.
Preschool/4 applicants are required to spend a morning in the Preschool/3 classroom during the school day on a mutually agreed upon date prior to the last day of school. Teachers will observe and assess your child. This visit will provide an opportunity for your child to interact with their future classmates.
4. Submit Teacher Recommendation
A Teacher recommendation form is required for all students who are currently enrolled in a preschool. A Teacher Recommendation form is included in the Application packet or online Preschool Teacher Recommendation Form.
5. Enrollment Decisions
Once all steps are completed, the Admissions Team will make a decision based on multiple factors, including the student’s assessment results, school visit and the availability of space in the grade that the student is applying.
Application deadline: February 1.
Applications received by February 1 will be given first consideration, with decisions to be mailed by the beginning of March.
Applications received after February 1 will be considered on a rolling basis, depending on class openings.
Curriculum Overview and 2020-2021 Preschool Handbook:
- Daily schedule is designed to balance teacher guided and child selected activities with active and quiet time
- We promote and provide numerous and varied opportunities for our children to explore, interact, imagine, create and problem solve
- Language Development: phonemic awareness, letter and sound recognition, receptive and expressive language skills
- Math: counting, sorting, shapes, number awareness and recognition
- Social Awareness Units of Study: All About Me, Family, The World Around Us, Holidays, Community and Community helpers
- Science Exploration: Five Senses, Animals, Plants, Weather, Butterfly Life Cycle
- Fine Motor Skills: diversified hands-on manipulatives, art based activities, pre-printing and printing activities
- Gross Motor Skills: outdoor play consisting of parachute, obstacle course, climbing and numerous teacher guided group game activities
- Technology, Library, P.E. and Religion classes weekly
1. Preschool is for students who will turn 3 years of age by September 15 of that school year.
2. Attendance options:
- 5 day full day 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday -Thursday; 8:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Friday
- 5 day partial day 8:00 am -1:00 p.m. Monday – Thursday; 8:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Friday
- 2-3 day full or partial days are available. Please inquire about this option when applying.
3. The maximum class size is 15 students.
4. Before and Aftercare is available. Click here for contract and rates information.
5. The school year will follow the same schedule as St. John’s K-8 calendar.
Douglas R. Perkins
Director of Admissions
St. John’s Episcopal School
301-774-6804, ext. 160